5.7.07

The Future is the Hidden Present


Walking along the ancient streets of Luebeck, I pondered temporality & causality as defined in early Buddhism. Letting go of desires and attachment are parts of enlightenment. We often fill our closets with things we don't need only because our hearts are empty. We hold onto people and things not realizing time destroys us all. Detaching oneself from desire makes us supple and allows us to escape the effects of time.

I bought my new suitcase today. It is so. It's time to leave.

1 comment:

AnDrew Cook said...

I appreciate this entry, walking meditation being the primary sort I actually practice. And I consistently realize that I don't need things so much as desire to make use of tools and comforts along the path.

I consider myself a casual student of Buddhism, Zen ethics more than other sorts, ironically I suppose my fixation is related.

So far, my favorite book on Zen is "Zen Masters: a Maverick, a Master of Masters, and a Wandering Poet"

Ikkyū- "Crazy Cloud" is probably my preferred example, but I learned more for life and living perhaps from the almost childlike Ryōkan.

I've more or less applied this principle in my own way- or perhaps also in the spirit of those masters from Japan, in a song or poem or two here and there.

There always comes a time that people and things are left behind.