18.4.11

PUFF FACE

We all know Liberia is a challenging country in which to work. Decades of civil war and structural violence have left the country in ruins. With less than one hundred practicing physicians in a country of 3.5 million, basic medical care is a luxury reserved for well-connected elites. Although Cuttington University has an on-campus clinic, Agape Clinic, it has limited scope considering it has no doctor on staff. Only technicians and three nurses treat a campus community of more than two thousand students, faculty, and staff. I visited Agape clinic, for the first time in October of 2010, complaining of a high fever, body aches, chills, and severe nausea and diarrhea. An ungloved technician pricked my finger for a malaria test. It was positive. I was told that the severe nausea and diarrhea were symptoms of malaria. The nurse gave me Artesuanate and sent me home. One week later I can barely move from fatigue and my thoughts are clouded from fever. I go to the local public hospital, Phebe Hospital, for treatment. I finally meet a doctor who conducts a battery of tests. He then excuses himself for a meeting and I’m left to wait on a bench in the hallway. The hospital is scheduled to meet important dignitaries from the United Nations and the hospital staff ushers all patients outside. I’m told to wait outside in the rain. I refuse and demand treatment. I wait for over two hours before the doctor’s driver humbly returns to tell me, “He’s not coming. I’ll drive you home.” Weakened I climb back in the truck and go home. The next day I receive my treatment and diagnosis: severe malaria with complications. 1800 mg of quinine per day and Climetidine. I still go to work and attend the IFESH in-country orientation in Monrovia. I feel dedicated to the mission and persevere despite my condition. I know that Agape Clinic may give me an inaccurate diagnosis and Phebe Hospital may be strapped for doctors, but Firestone Hospital in Harbel is supposedly the best hospital in the country. Our country representative introduced us to Dr. Lawrence Sherman during in-country orientation and we may call him for emergencies. I don’t hesitate to call him Friday morning, April 15, 2011. After my visit to Agape Clinic Wednesday, April 13th for what seemed to be an annoying rash over my face and neck I decide to go to Firestone. The rash appeared Monday, April 11, 2011, and persisted for two days unabated. The Agape Clinic nurse had given me a cursory glance and a prescription for penicillin, which is hardly used for anything besides strep throat and tooth abscesses. However, penicillin is not even available at the clinic. My condition worsens and my face begins to swell. My eyes disappear behind a mound of fleshy dough. Yellow pus oozes and crusts over my face and neck.

No comments: