2.6.07






This was an exceptional day. I walked through a cold concrete maze made to look like a grave. Feeling so small against the massive leaning monument to all those who murdered during the Holocaust, I felt so insignificant. The ground was uneven and the walls leaned at 30% angles. At times I felt as if I would be swallowed whole. Grey slabs leaning in on me. I ran for the exit, but found myself trapped in that cold dead labyrinth that echoed the past. Who could ever deny this?"Ich kann gar nicht so viel essen, wie ich kotzen möchte!" I can not eat as much as I would like vomit! said Max Liebermann as Hitler triumphantly marched through the Brandenburg Gate. Collective madness and misery that infected an entire society like a terrible plague was finally dislodged from Western Europe. Hitler's nightmares have been destroyed. His lavish red marble decor now lines the Mohrenstrasse train station like rows of butchered meat. The walls ooze murder and shout injustice. Vergesst es nie, vergesst es nie! Never forget, never forget. Remember Rwanda? Don't forget Sudan. Vergesst es nie!

No comments: